Friday, November 28, 2008

Creating a Classroom Blog

Creating a blog is quick and easy and provides a wonderful opportunity to share information with your students and their families. The first blog I created for my classroom was hosted through my school district (gone now) but blogs are easily created on sites like this one, blogger.com. When I began my classroom blog three years ago, my posts were sometimes few and far between but over time I came to find more and more opportunities to use my blog for communication. In the second year, I used my blog to post links to Internet resources used in class. Not only did this make it easy to access resources, but students could easily access them at home as well. Now in my third year as a teacher/blogger I continue to find new information to share with my students and their families through the blog. It has taken awhile, but my students are now beginning to actually make comments - that means the blog has developed into what it is intended to be: two-way communication!

Update: 7/28/10
My old blog is gone (host discontinued hosting) and I have a new district-hosted blog. Here's a link. Like many school sites, the template is one that is used district-wide (same colors, graphics, layout, etc.) and I just type in my content. If you like to play, many blog hosting sites, like Blogger, allow customization.

No comments: