Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tutorials

I have discovered the joy of screencasting! In my EdTech classes at Boise, instructors have created tutorials using a process called screencasting. In screencasting, computer software captures what is happening on the monitor and records audio commentary. In this type of tutorial, the viewer will see and hear step-by-step instructions for completing specific tasks on the computer. Of course I had to try it out.

I recorded my first tutorial while using GarageBand to edit a song for my upcoming 4th grade music program. For a first try, I think it turned out pretty well. Blogger only allows uploading of image files so, for now, I put my beautiful 13 minute tutorial on File Dropper. It may move, but for now the tutorial can be accessed via the following address: http://www.filedropper.com/editinganaudiofileusinggarageband. When you click on the link, it will take you to the File Dropper website. You may need to scroll down a tad, but you will see a button that says "download." Click on that and the movie will download to your computer. While I am happy to share, we really don't need copies of the tutorial on each viewer's computer, so my next task will be to figure out how people can view it without downloading.

If you are a Mac user and would like an introduction to audio editing, please check it out and let me know what you think. If there are topics you would like to suggest for future screencast tutorials (Mac or PC), please let me know. I am eager to play :-)

No comments: